Friday, June 27, 2014

The Wooden Hot Curl by Elliot Johnson

 I was sent a link to this amazing work of art and labour of love, that I needed to share with you.
500 little strips of Cedar, Paulownia and 2mm pieces of Jarrah


" With the design, I work out what I want when I'm finished & then break the board down into key parts (rocker, outline, girth, rails, concaves, deck, etc). I make a custom-wood template of the rocker, outline & girth. I'm not sure if this is a good way to go about building a board it but it works for me. "

" With this board I drew templates of what I thought a traditional hotcurl would look like & then I tried to improve on the design a little bit (I'm not sure if I did or not)...
e.g. I tried to keep the tail section of the board flat (1 - 2 ft in from the tail) before merging it into the tail/fin to try and give the board extra stability."


There are some very talented people out there and Elliot Johnson is one of them for sure. The skill , planning and exicution of a project like this is huge.Inspiring stuff.

1 comment:

Willie Louw said...

This is an incredible piece of work. Inspiring stuff. Well done.